Sunday, July 18, 2010
Vienna’s Burgtheater, which we visited on August 5 of last year.
The Burgtheater is one of Europe’s most esteemed German-language theaters. Its resident theater company is one of the most important theater companies in the world.
The present Burgtheater, sited on the Ring, was designed by Gottfried Semper (designer of Dresden’s glorious Semperoper, to which the Burgtheater bears a distinct resemblance) and Karl Von Hasenauer. The building opened to the public in 1888.
The Burgtheater was destroyed in the final months of World War II, and rebuilt between 1953 and 1955.
The postcard below shows the Burgtheater only months after the theater’s completion.
Labels: Bavaria And Austria 2009, World War II
Post a Comment