The impressive Landungsbrucken (“Landing Bridges”), among Hamburg’s most popular picture-postcard motifs, are the most tourist-frequented portions of Hamburg Harbor. The photo below is from a 1930 postcard of Landungsbrucken.
Built from 1906 to 1910, the 420-meter-long Landungsbrucken building features two towers of differing heights, as well as a number of bridge-shaped passageways and copper domes. Several piers lead out to floating pontoons in the middle of The River Elbe. These were once used as mooring points for the steamers that frequented the city, and later by HAPAG liners, but they are now used primarily by sightseeing boats. Large ships now dock elsewhere in Hamburg Harbor.
Hamburg’s famed pier runs parallel to The River Elbe along a 700-meter stretch. It was initially erected in 1839 but has since seen many renovations due to fire and war. Today, restaurants, souvenir shops and kiosks line the pier.
The photo below shows Landungsbrucken from The River Elbe.
The larger tower at Landungsbrucken indicates the water level as well as the time, and its ship’s bell tolls every half hour.
Landungsbrucken and its surroundings were heavily damaged during the war, and rebuilt from 1953 to 1955.
A complete modernization of Landungsbrucken was undertaken in 1999.